Friday, August 25, 2017

Conquering Cancer With Dad

On July 24th, 2017 (5 days before his 81st Birthday), my Dad had a mass removed from his chest. Picture something the size and shape of half of a golf ball, rounded side into his chest. It wasn't causing him much discomfort, but it itched from time to time and it wasn't very pretty.
His Dr wanted it removed and tested. The test came back positive for B Cell Large Diffused Lymphoma, Non Hodgkins Lymphoma from what I researched. He underwent a few more tests throughout the week and his blood test results came back looking good. The PET Scan results showed the Lymphoma in 2 places, which now makes it Stage 2 Limited Lymphoma. There was still a little bit on his chest that was missed (Damnit!) and some in another lymph node in his arm pit.

Before my Dad's test results he felt fine. He had good energy, a great appetite and no trouble sleeping. Since then, the impact and stress of the diagnosis has played games with his mind. He's anticipating signs and symptoms of Lymphoma: night sweats, chills, dizziness, loss of appetite and weight loss.  How cruel this thing is! I'm admittedly a Daddy's Girl, my Dad has always been my Champion. And now I am his Cheerleader and his voice of reason. I say, "We got this! If we can't succeed the first time, we regroup and figure out another way." "You aren't alone, we're in this together." "Stay Strong Dad!" and "Talk to God."

His treatment will be 3 rounds of aggressive chemotherapy every 2.5 to 3 weeks followed by 3 weeks of radiation. His first chemo appointment is on Monday the 28th in Los Alamos. I have packed the car and will drive out there tomorrow morning, Bonnie in tow. I don't know how long I will be there, but I will stay as long as he needs me. With giving trips away and FMLA, I hope to get all of the time off from work that I need. Jeff will work as much as he can and my wonderful in-laws will help take care of the cats and the house. Hopefully Jeff will be able to fly out for a few days visit every so often. I'm already missing him, it's going to be even more challenging without the comfort of his embrace every time I feel scared. I don't think anyone can prepare to see a loved one get sick and suffer. My heart hurts with the thought of it. It's so horrible that the treatment makes us sicker than the Cancer does. I want to be strong enough for us both, I will need to carry us through this and stay positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment